Saturday, June 29, 2013

Day One...rolling, rolling, rolling...

Here we are, day one complete. We made it to Idaho Falls with only a few rough patches. I am exhausted, but committed to this blog, so here I write. A road trip with kids does sound really crazy,  but what I realized today is that it creates this opportunity to connect and interact that my usual world seems to exclude. When Kaiya asks me to play a game at home there always seems to be a million reasons why I don't have the time, but on a 10 hour car ride, I totally do! I am so looking forward to making stronger and more connected relationships with my family over the next 3 and 1/2 weeks.

As for our ride today, it was LONG. We left Milwaukie at 7:00am, which was an hour behind schedule. We almost ran out of gas due to a Siri error, that near nightmare led us to this cute funky town in Oregon, Huntington. The gas station had only one working pump and it looked like it had been there since 1950. We saw a very sweet little lake on our way trying to coast downhill to the gas station, so jeremy thought we should get out and stretch our legs. As we were investigating what we thought were ducks in the bushes we stirred a mosquito compound. They took off at us with a vengence. It was like out of a cartoon, they seriously chased us back to the car. We made it to Idaho Falls at 8pm and quickly hopped in the pool for some volleyball and water wrestling! Yahoo!

We had a family meeting at dinner tonight, we all shared our thoughts about the day and what we thought was awesome and what could be better. We shared what we loved the most and overall the consensus was spending time with family. What could be better than that.

What I realized today is that we will all have our moments on this trip, or in life and that we all roll at a different pace. My dad was really tired at the end of this day, but happy. The girls were exhausted, but peaceful and Jeremy and I didn't have to clean the house or deal with work stuff after everyone was in bed. Maybe life is good on the road, just maybe.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment