We planned to get up early and spend the entire day in the city of DC, but plans change, right? So much busy busy calls for a lazy morning. Our friend Sarah (Steve's wife) said to me the other day that they did so much do this do that travelling that some of their kids now hate to travel. That really sunk in for me. I thought, "the girls want to just splash in the pool today, yes we are in DC, but clearly I need to get over it." They had a blast in the pool and after they were done then we decided we should see some of the Smithsonians. I guess it was a sort of compromise. Good deal. Jeremy and I went back and forth trying to decide how to get into DC because, well compared to NYC, the driving wasn't too bad, but the parking was a beast. We decided that Metro was best and really just part of the experience. DC has an amazing transportation system. We drove and parked at the station and had to figure out the rates, which is the only confusing part about riding the train in DC, each stop has a different rate and at different times of day it is a different price and then there are hidden card fees that you are supposed to add, essentially at each stop, we couldn't get out of the gate because somehow we hadn't paid enough and had to get assistance. Fun times. We finally made it into DC and got off at the National Mall. Jeremy instantly got roped in to some guy trying to "help tourists" and ended up paying him a few bucks for the "help". It was all good though, he was funny. He told us that the girls wanted a little brother for Christmas. Ok?! Kaiya was like, "why does he think I want that for Christmas?" she is so funny sometimes! We got over that and headed for the Museum of Natural History to see some dinosaurs. That was really fun, dinosaurs are so impressive for little people. It is incredible to see that they found dinosaur bones all along our route on this trip. Dinosaurs walked where we walked, so cool! They do a nice job of every exhibit at the Smithsonian. Kaiya liked the giant Sloths and the dinosaur bones. Mila thought they were all very scary, but she like the caveman exhibit. Mila mostly likes the snacks wherever we go, she is most interested in checking them out. She did however say that the "Big one, the t-rex because it is bigger!"After a little bit at the museum we realized that we were all starving to the point of woozy. Kaiya wanted to take a pedi-cab to lunch and she offered to pay for it with her travel money. Well alrighty then. We all piled into the back of a bike and made this poor guy haul us up a hill while trying to explain history of DC. He was awesome. He comes into DC from Chicago every year to drive a pedi-cab and teach DC history. We found an awesome salad place called Chop't and that was the end of our ride. He was dripping sweat and could hardly breath. That is a lot of weight to haul on a bike!! I think I should start offering people rides on my xtracycle, could be interesting! I have so many new inspiring (some good and some not so) ideas for future ventures. We will see how that all pans out. After lunch we headed to the Museum of American History. It is so hot in DC that not only do the museums provide amazing things to look at, but also a cool break from the humidity. The girls had a plan for things to see at the American History Museum. They b-lined for Dorothy's ruby slippers and were so excited when they stumbled upon them. They just stared in awe for a few minutes. They wanted to see Lincoln's hat, so we went to the African American History section, which will soon be its own museum in DC. Kaiya had a lot of questions about slavery and how could that even happen. They had shackles on display that were used to transport child slaves. Kaiya was mortified. She really does have a strong sense of what is right and of justice, I hope she keeps that through her life. She is such a great person! Mila didn't really understand all of it, but always asks questions about why people "with brown skin, like Kaiya" are being treated this way or why do movies show them that way. She is definitely already aware that there is inequity in the world and it is confusing. They exhibit was great and walked you through to the end of slavery, which is where Lincoln's hat was. Again, I love Lincoln, just saying. The other side of the exhibit walked you through Civil Rights, which is again so inspiring and with such amazing leadership. Not much of that these days. I have found so many examples on this trip of how we have slid backwards since civil rights. There is so much anger and segregation in this country. There are so many people suffering right around the corner from us, but it is accepting and I find it so depressing. I don't care what people have done in their lives, they deserve to be treated with dignity and respect. Judgement is so intense in this country and I have found that the most difficult and necessary part of our travels. Seeing for ourselves what is happening in this country and allowing time to think about what needs to be done. That has been a painful process for me. I know, tangent, sorry. After the African American History we went and saw the first lady dresses, they have many of the dresses from the last 200 years. It is incredible to see them and read about the women who wore them. I am not sure I have a favorite first lady. I hadn't realized that many of the first presidents had chosen other family members to take on the role of first lady. Some had daughters, nieces, cousins that would attend events and be the hostess at the white house. Interesting. We then walked through the presidents exhibit. Kaiya chose Lincoln as her favorite president of all time and Mila chose Washington. Both good choices, I think. They loved standing at the presidents podium and reciting speeches on tv, that was very fun. Mila looked like a dictator with her hand and facial gestures...appropriate for Mila. Our last venture was to see the Star Spangled Banner. I just love all the stories about all of these people, places and things. The Smithsonian Museums are so wonderful and free! I love that anyone can go and see and learn. That is how more places should be. All should have a right and access to experience history and step outside themselves. I love DC, wish we had more time... it was getting late, after 7pm and we needed to go meet up with my dad and the Selby family, so we headed back to the metro. The ride home was a bit more confusing and crowded with all the folks headed home. Our family was all feeling tired and silly. We paid the wrong amount again and had to pay more to get out of the station. Oh joy! On our way to see my dad we saw lots of bunnies and fireflies which I think I mentioned before. The girls just get so excited! We made dinner at the Selby house and soaked up our last bit of time with them. Sarah was leaving at 6am to drive to Maine ( I do want to go to Maine someday) and we were leaving in the morning. The girls were anxious to get in another night swim, so it was back to the pool with us. They swam and swam and shut down the pool. Mila made a little friend, which is always her plan. She talks about how she will make a friend at every pool and what she will share of her water toys with her new friend. So cute!
No comments:
Post a Comment