Thursday, July 25, 2013

Galveston...bath water ocean fun

Okay so I know I didn't have many nice things to say about Galveston last night, it just hadn't impressed me much and was a little creepy, but we wanted some beach action, so we geared up for the sea and sand and left papa to "work" at the hotel. We drove to a beach where you can drive on the sand, but opted out since we were in a mini van. Mini van + sand = tow truck. There was nobody on the beach. It was kind of stormy, but super warm. We headed straight for the ocean and I was expecting warm ocean water, but this was like nothing I had ever been in. It was so warm, like 80 degrees. We had so much fun swimming and playing around, building sand castles and making soup. Kaiya got us all in on her project to keep water in a hole she had dug and we were all running around listening to Sargent Kaiya bark orders at us. It was pretty fun. Everyone felt so peaceful. The ocean does that. I miss living across from the beach so much. The Oregon Coast is beautiful, kind of far and just not the same as California. It just isn't as accessible. Anyway we were at the beach for a few hours and then headed back to the hotel to pack up and head to Austin. We didn't have a far ride and that made everyone happy. About an hour out of Austin and right after the girls had fallen asleep the boys decided they were hungry and needed to use the bathroom. So we woke up the crankies and went to Whataburger, some Texas burger place. Everyone thought it was very good, so I guess it was worth waking the beasts!
We arrived in Austin at rush hour so our short drive was a little longer. We were staying at the Embassy Suites and the girls were so excited about this hotel. They always do a nice job with their interior, looking like a spanish villa. This hotel had coy ponds throughout and the girls decided that it looked like a barbie dreamhouse, so they played Barbie Dreamhouse the entire time we were there.
Our first mission was to go see the bats fly out from Congress Bridge. So Jeremy, the girls and I headed out. We drove by the capital building, which was a beautiful capital and drove down Congress. to the bridge. People were already lining up all across the bridge. I had read that there is a park under the bridge where you should sit and watch, so we marched across the bridge and then under it. You could hear the bats (and smell them...ick) starting to stir. There were a few lone bats that flew out and then they all came. There are supposedly 750,000 bats that fly out every night from the Congress bridge. It is fascinating to watch the babies fly in a circular u turn pattern because they are confused and still learning the routine. They all fly in groups and there are just huge clusters of bats flying through the sky line of Austin. It is actually really cool. I think Bats are pretty cool and kind of cute, but if you are scared of them, then maybe don't go! It was time for some ICE CREAM after seeing all those bats and no, we had not had dinner! We found a little local spot and waited in line for ice cream...I never wait in line for ice cream!!! It was fun though, they had a photo booth, so we piled in for some photo fun. The girls got some crazy ice cream mixtures and we headed back to the hotel to round up papa for a post ice cream, late night dinner. Woot!

No comments:

Post a Comment